Data transferability and collection consistency has been a major focus for Annex IV throughout the past year. (Under this project, we define "data" to include raw or quality assured data, but also information especially in the form of analyses, reports, etc.). The goal is to engage the MRE community to enable the transfer of data from already permitted/consented projects to inform permitting/consenting of future projects. Steps in the process include developing a data transferability framework, data collection consistency table, data discoverability matrix, and best management practices to guide the transfer of data. If the MRE community were to embrace this process, the advantages include shorter permitting/consenting processes and lower costs for environmental baseline and monitoring data collection. The progress in this area by Annex IV is highlighted here:
- Regulator Webinars – the PNNL team held two consecutive webinars to discuss environmental effects of permitting MRE developments with regulators involved in these processes and conducted a survey to better understand challenges for permitting MRE developments.
- Data transferability literature review and white paper – the PNNL team completed a literature review on data transferability and put together a white paper that detailed the literature review and a framework based on the findings.
- Data transferability regulator focus groups – regulator focus groups were held with US regulators in-person and online to demonstrate data and information on environmental effects from MRE developments, to understand regulator's willingness to transfer data, and to gather feedback on the Data Transferability Framework.
- Annex IV Workshop at ICOE 2018 – based on the findings of the regulator focus groups, a workshop was held at ICOE 2018 in France that brought together regulators, developers, consultants, and research to continue to gather additional feedback on the Data Transferability Framework, detail lessons learned from the focus groups, and work towards an implementation plan.
- Data Transferability Best Management Practices engagement – the Annex IV team held a series of webinars to engage US regulators that participated in the previous environmental effects of permitting MRE developments webinar, regulator focus groups, those who participated in the Annex IV Workshop at ICOE, and the broader MRE community to gather additional feedback on the Data Transferability Best Management Practices and Implementation Plan.
- Data Transferability Process for MRE webinar for US Regulators: Presentation and Recording
- Optimizing Permitting for MRE through Data Transferability webinar