Annex IV/ORJIP Workshop: Management Measures
This workshop was led by the Offshore Renewables Joint Industry Programme (ORJIP) and Annex IV and focused on management measures for ensuring that permitting of Marine Renewable Energy (MRE) devices could move forward in the face of uncertainty. Prior to the workshop, a list of management measures associated with specific interactions of MRE devices with the marine environment was circulated to the participants. Twenty-six invited participants, including researchers, regulators, and developers, spent the day examining and contributing to the management measures that are available to the industry and regulators.
With the input of the researchers, regulators, and developers at the May 2017 workshop, the following criteria were used to develop the management measures tool:
- Ensure common understanding of parameters that describe management measures proposed for collision risk, electromagnetic fields, noise, and benthic disturbance;
- Evaluate each measure for effectiveness in addressing the risk for which it is intended;
- Determine the feasibility and practicality of each measure;
- Facilitate the development of a toolbox of management measures that can be made broadly available, as they are needed; and
- Consider the use of the tool to guide initial discussions between project proponents and regulators.
The management measures tool can be found on Tethys here.