(The majority of the report is in Norwegian. However, there is an abstract in English.)
Norwegian Institute, dept. of Arctic ecology, and Fiskeriforskning have done an exploratory survey on possible environmental consequences in Kvalsundet, Tromsø County, Norway for Statkraft Energi AS prior to a planned pilot of a new type of tidal current turbine. The work is also a description on the environmental status for the areas before the installation is placed out, of importance to eventual after-studies of effects to the system.
The following themes are treated in the report:
- The birdlife's use of the area: Kvalsundet is an important area for wintering seabirds. Possible effects for the seabirds involve seizure of habitat (marine sea ducks) and risk of collision with the turbine blades (several species and groups of seabirds). In addition, the installation also can attract roosting cormorants.
- Fish resources in relation to commercial fisheries: The installation will presumably not have any effects on commercial fisheries. Effects on fish resources may include collision risk, attraction or scaring effects because of noise. The attraction effect includes both attraction because of sound waves, and the effect of the installation as a hide and living environment. For the theme noise, it has been conducted a literature study.
- Information on the benthic fauna: Effects on this theme is considered to be minimal, but can include changed current and turbulence conditions. The installation may prevent predation of benthic organisms.
- Possible occurrences and movements of sea mammals: Harbour porpoise and harbour seal are considered to be the species in question. Possible effects includes noise disturbance and collision risk.
- Terrestrial mammals which may use the area around the installation (especially otters): Effects on European otters is parallel to the sea mammals. Effects on other species are considered to be trivial.
- Effects on outdoor life: The area is used actively for leisure fisheries and scuba diving. The installation is going to restrict the activity of the scuba divers. Fishing from land will not be affected by the installation, but fishing from boat might become restricted to some degree.
Norwegian Title: Pilotanlegg tidevannskraft Kvalsundet - Statusbeskrivelse og mulige konsekvenser for naturmiljøet