Wello Oy (Wello) is planning a full scale demonstration of its 'Penguin' wave energy converter (WEC) at the European Marine Energy Centre's (EMEC's) Wave Test Site facility at Billia Croo in Orkney, during summer 2011. The device will have an installed capacity of 500kW and feed electricity into the local grid via EMEC's pre-installed subsea cable. The device will be installed at a new deepwater berth (~60m) at the north end of the site.
This Environmental Statement (ES) has been produced in line with EMEC's EIA Guidance for Developers (EMEC, 2008) and covers the following tasks associated with the proposed test:
- Mooring system installation
- Device installation
- Umbilical cable installation and connection to EMEC's pre-laid subsea cable
- Operation and maintenance of all equipment
- Testing and monitoring activities
- Decommissioning of all equipment