Theme and Objectives: Impact assessment practice is supporting moves toward more resolute action on the twin crises of climate change and biodiversity loss. This realignment of policy and practice involves all sectors of society.
The impact assessment community can play a critical role in moving from a Just Transition to a Just Transformation. There is an urgent need to decarbonize energy markets, to advance a green and circular economy, to protect social justice and equality, to incentivize restorative measures to halt or reverse natural resource degradation, and to increase human and environmental wellbeing.
How can impact assessors help achieve the policies and initiatives of the Just Transition and move toward the more urgent Just Transformation? The global agenda is large. Regional and local challenges multiply. And the opportunities to positively influence the required transformation are many.
Impact assessment helps deliver decisions that are evidence-based, informed, and inclusive. It provides transparency on the hard choices that have to be made. The impact assessment community has knowledge and skills that are wide as well as specialized. The immediacy of the required actions and the role of impact assessment provide the right nexus to push boundaries, innovate, and place environments and societies at the center of all decisions.
The conference will be structured in the following 10 thematic streams:
- The role of impact assessment in a Just Transformation
- The contribution of impact assessment to climate justice
- From Just Transition to Just Transformation
- A Just Transformation for Indigenous peoples and vulnerable communities
- The well-being economy as a model for a Just Transformation
- Protecting biodiversity: enhancing baseline and monitoring mechanisms for nature-based solutions
- Sustainable development goals and the Just Transformation
- Decarbonizing the energy sector
- Innovative methods and decision-support tools for a Just Transformation
- Protecting and promoting the right to a safe, clean, and healthy environment
Discussions will also address general IA topics and the IAIA special-interest Sections.
- 42nd Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA 2023), Kuching Malaysia, 8-11 May 2023
- 38th Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA 2018), Durban, South Africa, 16-18 May 2018