The University Marine Energy Research Community (UMERC) aims to promote knowledge transfer and collaboration between universities, national laboratories, and industry.
On November 10, 2021, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time, UMERC hosted a workshop introducing UMERC and gathering input to create a research landscape for the program. This workshop was the first in a series that will engage with the community to develop UMERC's research landscape.
This landscape will help:
- Identify and inform areas of future research
- Create connections between people and research
- Facilitate collaborations
- Minimize research duplication
Developing the Research Landscape will contribute to UMERC's three objectives by:
- Increasing awareness of research: creating the landscape will help us understand what research exists, how the researchers interact, and where the gaps exist
- Evaluate and recommend ways to enhance research: each individual will be able to identify their own needs for research (ground-up, not top-down)
- Improve coordination and collaboration: each cluster will include individuals with ties to university, lab, and industry
Speakers included Samantha Quinn (POET), Shana Hirsch (University of Washington), Timothy Ramsey (DOE), and Henry Jeffrey (University of Edinburgh).