This document provides a synthesis of the work undertaken by HR Wallingford in conjunction with ABPmer and CEFAS for the RAG research project SED02: Dynamics of scour pits and scour protection. The principal items covered by this study are listed below:
- Identification, collation and review of all available field evidence for scour from built Round 1 wind farm projects and, in addition, any further data available from other relevant European marine projects. The Round 1 wind farm data was brought together by the project SED01 – ABPmer et al. (2007).
- Review of past UK and European research relating to scour and scour protection for the wind farm industry. Review of publications and guidance relating to scour and scour protection within other marine industries (oil and gas, cables, jetties, met masts and other one-off structures), including types of scour protection and their potential impact on coastal processes and navigation.
- Review the design and installation of scour protection for Scroby Sands, and relate to performance as recorded by earlier DTI funded investigations.
- Review the design and installation of scour protection for other UK and European sites, potentially including scour in relation to cabling as well as foundations.
- Identification of gaps in the scour and scour protection knowledge base, especially on mobile sandbanks. Make recommendations for the research required to fill these gaps.
The first five of these items have been covered in the detailed research presented within the report in Appendix 1 and summarised in the present report. The last item is covered in the present report.