Big Blue Wind Farm, LLC (Big Blue), a subsidiary of Exergy Development Group of Idaho (Exergy) is committed to its responsibility to be a good steward of the environment and to adhere to federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Exergy’s wind project policy calls for wind projects to be designed, constructed, and operated in an environmentally sensitive manner and, either avoid or minimize potential avian and bat impacts. Exergy understands that even with diligent design, construction and operation activities, avian and bat fatalities may occur, including species that are protected under federal and state laws. As part of this commitment, Big Blue has developed an Avian and Bat Protection Plan (ABPP) for the Big Blue Wind Farm (Project). The development and application of this ABPP will ensure that:
- All Project-related actions comply with federal and state regulations;
- All Project-related actions comply with permit conditions;
- Project-specific species concerns are included in the ABPP, including avoidance and minimization measures;
- Public and private organizations are included in programs and research that minimize detrimental effects of bird and bat interactions with wind projects.
- The procedures described in this ABPP are followed;
- The Big Blue staff and all relevant subcontractors will receive the appropriate training pursuant to wildlife monitoring and reporting protocols; and,
- The documentation of bird and bat injuries and fatalities may provide the basis for future modification of the ABPP.
This ABPP continues Exergy’s regulatory compliance concerning bird and bat interactions with its wind projects through a proactive approach to reducing risk to birds and bats and their habitats.